SHEFFIELD Chess History

 

Contents:

Sheffield Deaf Trophy

Yorkshire Home

 

Sheffield Home

Narrative

Organisations

Events

Games

People

Graves

Competitions

Trophies

Made in Sheffield

Miscellaneous

 

Sheffield Deaf Institute and Sheffield Deaf Association Chess Clubs

 

The first involvement of a Sheffield Deaf chess club in formal Sheffield & District Chess Association activity was probably that of the Sheffield Deaf Institute team which first entered the Batley-Meek in 1950-51.  The team played again in the Batley-Meek of 1951-52, but then dropped out of the league for a couple of seasons.  It re-entered the Batley-Meek in 1954-55, only to disappear again.

 

The present Sheffield Deaf Chess club was formed in 1966, and first entered the Sheffield League in the season 1967-68, playing in the Weston Trophy, there being only the two divisions at that time.  The club has been playing in the Sheffield league almost continuously since then.

 

On 29/09/1996, Sheffield Deaf Chess Club held a team tournament to celebrate the club’s 30th anniversary.  An EPNS cup, of robust structure, was presented to the winning team, engraved as follows:

 

SHEFFIELD DEAF

 

CHESS CLUB’S

 

30TH ANNIVERSARY

 

1966-1996

 

TEAMS TOURNAMENT

 

29.9.96

 

As this was a one-off event, the trophy rested in the possession of Geoff Frost.  Then, after the creation for 2012-13 of a third division of the S&DCA’s Summer League, the trophy was donated to the S&DCA for the winners of that competition.  Successive winners so far have been:

 

2013

Stannington

2014

Aughton B

2015

Clay Cross

2016

Worksop B

 

 

Created

28/08/2016

Copyright © 2016 Stephen John Mann

Last Updated

28/08/2016