SHEFFIELD Chess History

 

Contents:

Arundel Chess Club

Yorkshire Home

 

Sheffield Home

Narrative

Organisations

Events

Games

People

Graves

Competitions

Trophies

Made in Sheffield

Miscellaneous

 

The Arundel Chess Club was originally a continuation of the St. Peter’s Chess Club, changing its name when the St. Peter’s Club closed and was taken over in 1881 by the newly formed Arundel Club Ltd., which continued to cater mainly for tradesmen and clerks, and took over occupancy of 81 Norfolk Street.  Thus the Arundel Chess Club dated in spirit from about 1873, and in name from 1881.

 

With the Sheffield Athenaeum Chess Club, the Arundel Chess Club was a prime mover in the formation of the Sheffield and District Chess Association.

 

Occupancy of 81 Norfolk Street was by lease, and unexpected notice of termination of the lease was received, with the result that it was resolved to close down the Arundel Club Ltd.

 

That obviously left the chess-players with a problem.  The Sheffield Daily Telegraph of 04/04/1885, page 3, reported on a meeting of the club, as follws:

 

CHESS. – A general meeting of the Arundel Chess Club was held on Thursday evening, the president Mr. Barraclough in the chair, and general regret was expressed at the impending close of the parent club, and it was resolved to carry on the chess club on an independent footing.

 

The independent chess club so formed seems originally to have adopted the name “Arundel & Hallamshire Chess Club”, though it seems in time to have reverted to use of the simple “Arundel Chess Club”, continuing activity in the Sheffield & District Chess Association to 1933-34, after which it dropped out of the league.

 

The St. Peter’s-later-Arundel Chess Club thus seems to have been the first Sheffield Chess Club apart from the Sheffield Athenaeum Chess Club to last for any significant length of time.

 

 

Created

30/08/2014

Copyright © 2014 Stephen John Mann

Last Updated

30/08/2014