Yorkshire Chess History
Identity of the Chess-Player
“M. Jackson” of Hull started to appear regularly in the chess records in the late 1890s, and was joined by an “S. Jackson”. Many years later, “Maxwell Jackson” of Hull became a vice-president of the Yorkshire Chess Association. It is here assumed that the earlier “M. Jackson” and the later “Maxwell Jackson” are the same person. It appears only one Maxwell Jackson existed who fits the bill. “S. Jackson” appears not to be immediately related, though could have been a cousin or similar. Chess references to “M. Jackson, LL. M.” and even “Dr. Jackson” confirm the chess-player was this Maxwell Jackson.
Maxwell Jackson’s parents were William Maxwell Jackson (born 1835/36, Hull) and Mary Ann Elizabeth Jackson (born 1841/42, Hull). This couple had at least the following three children:
The birth of Maxwell Jackson was registered in the third quarter of 1865, at Sculcoates, Hull. Venn says he was born at Nithsdale Terrace, Hull, and that he was baptised on 19/08/1865.
It appears that father William Maxwell Jackson owned land by the River Humber at Wilmington, where it was proposed to build Maxwell Street, Morley Street and Hill Street. (Is “Hill” here the “Hill” of “Hill & Jackson” where our man was working in 1899?) [National Archives ref. DBHT/12/13/16]
The 1871 census found the family of two parents, three children, father William’s 18-year-old sister-in-law, unmarried Fanny L. Jackson, and two servants, living at 4 Nithsdale Terrace, off Beverley, Hull. Father William was a solicitor. Francis was a scholar. That Fanny was William’s sister-in-law suggests his wife’s maiden name was Jackson, and so perhaps she was a cousin.
The death of William Maxwell Jackson was registered in the first quarter of 1879.
The 1881 census found widowed Mary A.E. Jackson living with Francis, Evelyn and two servants at Lady Well Street, Welton, about one mile east of Brough, and two to three miles NW of North Ferriby.
Maxwell had been sent to Clifton College, Clifton, Bristol, which was run by J. M. Wilson. Accordingly, the 1881 census found 15-year-old Hull-born Maxwell Jackson as one of 47 boarding scholars living at College House, Clifton College Clifton, Bristol.
White's Directory of Hull, 1882, listed Mrs Mary Jackson at Welton Cottage, Welton. This was Maxwell’s mother at the Jackson family home. (Compare 1913.)
Maxwell was admitted as a pensioner at St. John’s College, Cambridge, on 21/07/1882, matriculating at Michaelmas of the same year. He got his B.A. in 1885, and his LL.M. in 1889. He was admitted as a solicitor in May 1889.
The 1891 census found the widowed mother Mary living with all three children, a 9-year-old Hull-born niece called Hilda M. Wake and two servants, at “Village Street”, Welton. This may have still been Lady Well Street. Mary was living on her own means. Both sons, Francis and Maxwell, were solicitors.
Kelly's Directory of Hull, 1899, listed Maxwell Jackson, LLM, of the firm of Hill & Jackson, with business premises at 7 Parliament Street, Hull, “Hill” being Joseph Hickson Hill.
The marriage of Maxwell Jackson to Maude Muschamp Vickers (born 1877/78, Penge, Kent) was registered in the second quarter of 1900, St. George, Hanover Square. The couple’s had at least three children, all born at Ferriby, were:
The 1901 census found mother Mary living with Francis, Maxwell (married), Evelyn, niece Hilda M. Wake, and two servants at Lady Well Street, Welton. It would appear Maxwell and his wife lived still with Maxwell’s mother, but that Maxwell’s wife must have been away from home at the time of the census.
By 1903, Maxwell and his wife had moved to Ferriby, where the (first three) children were born. Thus the 1911 census found Maxwell and Maude living with the above three children (their only three as yet) and four servants at North Ferriby, East Yorkshire, on the north bank of the Humber.
Kelly's Directory of North and East Ridings of Yorkshire, 1913, listed Maxwell’s older brother, Frank morley Jackson, living still at the family residence, Welton cottage, Welton, and listed Maxwell Jackson residing at The Uplands, North Ferriby, Brough
With the advent of the First World War, Maxwell saw military service as a lieutenant in the East Yorkshire Motor Transport Volunteers, R.A.S.C. [Venn]
Older son Ronald followed his father into the occupation of solicitor, while younger son Myles became a farmer.
The death of Maxwell’s older brother, Francis Morley Jackson, aged 74, was registered in the second quarter of 1938, at Holderness. According to probate records, Francis Morley Jackson, of the Cottage, Welton, died on 18/05/1938. Probate was granted the National Provincial Bank and James Gillespie, accountant. He left effects of £44,851 5s. 11d.
The death of Maxwell Jackson was registered in the third quarter of 1956, at Holderness. According to probate records, Maxwell Jackson of Ferriby Hill, North Ferriby, died on 28/07/1956. Probate was granted to Ronald Emerson Maxwell Jackson, solicitor, and Myles Allen Maxwell Jackson, farmer. He left effects of £71,943 0s. 5d.
“M. Jackson” of Hull rarely missed a county match, it seems.
He played in the 1896 Yorkshire v Cheshire match, in the 1898 Lancashire v Yorkshire match, in the 1898-99 Yorkshire v Lancashire match, in the 1899-00 Lancashire v Yorkshire, in the 1901-02 Cumberland v Yorkshire, match, in the 1901-02 Yorkshire v Lancashire match.
He played in the 1899-00 Yorkshire v Kent Correspondence match.
(Relevant county match records from 1903 to 1905 not immediately to hand.)
He played in the 1906-07 Yorkshire v Lancashire match. He played in the 1907-08 Cheshire v Yorkshire match, in the 1907-08 Lancashire v Cheshire match, in the 1907-08 Yorkshire-Warwickshire match. He missed the 1907-08 Middlesex v Yorkshire match, perhaps possibly because he didn’t quite “get into the team”, which was of only 17 boards.
He appeared in the 1923-24 Yorkshire v Surrey match, and doubtless numerous county matches between 1908 and 1924.
He was absent from Yorkshire teams of 1937-38, so he had perhaps given up county chess by then.
He was playing for Hull in the Woodhouse Cup in 1900-01, 1901-02, 1902-03, 1903-04, 1904-05, 1905-06, 1906-07 and 1907-08. He played with decreasing frequency in subsequent season, including (amongst others not to hand) 1911-12, 1924-25, 1933-34, 1934-35 and 1935-36.
By the 1937-38 season Maxwell Jackson of Hull was already a vice-president of the Yorkshire Chess Association. The then-president, Charles William Roberts, died in 1939, and Maxwell Jackson was elected in his stead, at the start of the post-war period. He continued as president at least to 1948-49.
Copyright © 2013 Stephen John Mann
Census information is copyright of The National Archive, see UK Census Information